Five reasons you need to review your website now.
Written on the 31 August 2015 by Snap Marketing
How do I know I need to change my website?
Your company website is your main marketing tool. Sadly, many business owners pay little attention to theirs, while canny competitors are moving further and further ahead in sales.
Is this you?
It's been online for, what two years? Five years? More? Then none of the above 'excuses' stand up. Technology, Google algorithms and best practice design all change from week to week, let alone year to year.
You may not necessarily need a completely new website. But if you haven't done anything to your site in the last three months (let alone the last three years), you're losing business.
Here are five good reasons why you need to give your site some love:
1. Problem: browser compatibility. There are a number of web browsers including Internet Explorer, Safari Chrome, Firefox and Opera. Chances are your site looks different in at least one of them (or doesn't work at all). If important information disappears from your website on laptop or desktop computers, visitors will leave.
2. Problem: lack of visual appeal. The problem isn't just about 'aesthetic tastes'. Today, it's called 'user experience'. If anyone who visits your site can't easily find the information they're looking for, they'll go elsewhere.
3. Problem: it looks old fashioned. The number of ugly sites on the internet remains a plague. Again, it's not about your tastes, it's about not offending the visitor in any way. Certain fonts, white type of dark colours and visually crowded pages are a major turn-off.
4. Problem: your website isn't mobile friendly. If it isn't, Google has you in their sights and you are probably already suffering for it. In April 2015 Google changed its algorithm to penalise sites that aren't mobile friendly. This penalty extends to your site viewed on all devices, including desktop and laptops. If you're not sure, check here.
5. Problem: you're not ranking well. That's ok, you say, your clients don't find you on the internet. And that's the problem you're losing customers to your competitors who are SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) savvy. It's not rocket science it simply involves adding relevant, interesting content to your website on a regular basis. This could be everything from a picture of your latest product, a news item or, better yet, an article you write (think 'blog section').
But I can't afford to update my website
Do you know how much money you've lost by not updating your website? Of course you don't, so the question may very well be can I afford to NOT update my website.
Don't know where to start?
Your local Snap Centre is a good place. Our team of designers and developers are surprisingly affordable. And it won't cost you anything to find out what we can do online to help build your business.