Make My Own Website
How easy is it to make my own website?
"I'm going to make my own website!" There are many (heavily promoted) online sites that may inspire you. So, you may ask yourself - 'what do I do now?'
A 'do-it-yourself' platform will certainly save you money. However, be aware that making a site yourself still requires the same steps as a professional website design company.
What goes into making your website?
- Research. First, you need to decide on the software or platform. Then, you'll need to ensure that you're up to date with all of the latest trends and technology updates. Which plugins do you need? What CMS is best? Will the platform I want to use work with my computer?
- Planning. Once you've made these decisions, you need to plan your site. What pages do you need? What information do you need? Have you purchased your url? What will the mobile/tablet version of your website look like?
- Establish a sitemap. Next, literally 'map out' your pages. The top navigation area should be from four to six pages (including 'Home' and 'Contact', of course). Are there any sub navigation pages?
- Preparation. Make sure you haven't forgotten anything. If you have, it will be more difficult (and possibly more expensive) to add things at a later date.
- Decide on a format. A website page is called a 'template' this refers to the structure or the 'layout' of the page how many columns, where the headlines sit, where the navigation bar sits.
- Make design decisions. Colours, fonts and image style are just a few you'll need to consider.
- Design. This is the stage everything comes together.
- Write your content. Make sure you use keyword terms that your potential clients will be using to find your product or services
- Obtain the images. Remember, you can't just use images from Google this is akin to stealing (and yes, people DO get caught). You'll need either your own original images or to purchase them from a stock shot library. There are some 'free' sites, but they offer a fairly limited and low quality variety.
- Decide on back end add-ons. Called plugins, they can vary from the ability to add an image gallery,
- Choose your web hosting company. Make sure they offer stability (you don't want your site going down) that they have the proper security measures in place and 24/7 technical help-desk.
- Organise pre-launch. Testing and trial everything make sure the links work, the site looks good on all browsers and works on mobile and tablet.
- Make live. You're up and running! Once the site is live, ensure web crawlers can index it.
- Keep it up to date. Google loves sites that continually add useful information. If you just launch it and leave it, you won't rank well.
Or, you could save yourself time (and time is money)
Snap are website design and development experts. We can handle all of the steps from brief to launch at a surprisingly affordable price. Contact your local Snap Centre today to get started on your website.